Stephens Brothers Boat Builders (Stephens Bros.) is one of the most respected names in boat design.
They began in the Stockton, California back yard of brothers Theodore (Thode, 1882-1933) and Robert (Roy, 1884-1953) Stephens in 1902. The company was later managed by Thodes' three sons, "Theo" Jr., Barre, and Dick Stephens.
During their 85-year history, Stephens Bros. became famous for its elegantly designed pleasure craft, including sailboats, speedboats, cruisers, and private yachts, a large number of which are still in existence. Stephens Bros. also built many vessels for the U.S. military.
When Stephens Brothers closed in 1987, the last of the company files and holdings were donated to The Haggin Museum. On display in the museum’s California room is a 1927 Stephens 26’ Runabout.